Elegant Father's Day Card Video Tutorial

Hi there!

I'm back with another video tutorial, sharing the elegant Father's Day card I made for my Dad. With just over a week to go until the day itself, I thought it would be nice to share some inspiration for a card, using some techniques that seem to have gone out of fashion slightly. You can watch the video below and then read on for more.



To clarify, when I say the machine isn't meant for cutting thick card stock, I actually mean the die; it's a wafer thin steel die and so not really designed for the thickest card stock. I was really happy with the finished effect to this card and liked leaving it clean and elegant. Apologies for the state of my voice in the video, though, I have a bit of a cold at the moment!


--- Supplies Used ---
# Scoring board and bone folder
# Manual die cutting machine (I'm using the Xcut Xpress)
# Dad Stamp Set from docrafts
# Mr Mister words stamp set from docrafts
# Nylon detail brush in 5/0 from The Works
# Stencil brush from Royal & Langnickel Crafter's Choice
# Kraft card stock
# Pebeo gilding wax in Antique Gold
# Ocado drawing ink in Rose Gold
# Cosmic Shimmer gilding flakes in Autumn Leaves
# Cheery Lynn clock die
# Stitched circle dies from The Works
# Patterned paper from Sara's Just for Men Urban pad from Crafter's Companion
# Faber Castell PITT pen in S
# Tape runner
# Double sided tape, wide (from Wilko) and standard
# Masking tape
# Scissors
# Memento ink pad in Espresso Truffle
# Distress Ink in Vintage Photo
# Mini ink blending tool
# Acrylic blocks
# Nuvo glue pen
# Manilla envelope

I made an A5 card by scoring an A4 piece of kraft card stock in half. From another sheet of kraft card, I cut both the circle and clock face from the Cheery Lynn die set. I had to use a shim to cut the cog detail from the thick card stock. I really love this die, it looks absolutely stunning, and with a little gilding really shines!



I used my finger to cover the clock face with the gilding wax. This really is the loveliest gilding wax I've every used with such a soft texture! It's important to buff the surface after it dries with a tissue or dry cloth. For the circle, I covered it with wide double sided tape; it's easier if you do this before die-cutting! I then covered this with the gilding flakes. They provide a lovely mosaic look to the back of the clock and a brighter shine than the wax. I used two stitched circle dies to make a frame for the clock, since it looked a bit bare without it, and covered this in gilding wax, too.



I went around the edges of this lovely clock patterned paper with Distress Ink in Vintage Photo, to warm up the edges and add a lovely vintage feel. I then stuck the assembled clock face (assembled with a glue pen) to the paper using a tape runner, and stuck the frame on with sticky pads. I definitely recommend using foam tape, though, to save much frustration with the fiddly backing paper! I went around the numbers and cogwork on the face with a fineliner pen. The gilding flakes behaved a little strangely under the pen, so this was a delicate process done slowly. The results were certainly worth it, though, as you can see in the photo above!


I added a strip of gilding wax to the top and bottom of where I wanted the patterned paper to be, using masking tape to mask off the lower section of the card. I also added another strip to the bottom of the card and stuck the panel on with double sided tape. I measured three sections in the lower portion to aid with some handwriting. I wrote in pencil 'Happy Father's Day...' then went over this with rose gold ink. Off camera, I erased the pencil lines and went over this a second time to add extra vibrancy. Using italic handwriting really added to the elegance of the card.


I left the card front simple and elegant, and stamped a sentiment on the inside, with a large 'Dad' stamp to add interest. Again, I felt the simple look really added elegance to the card.


I used the same stamp for the envelope, and a border stamp from the same set along the top and bottom of a plain manilla envelope.

I hope you enjoyed this post, and found some inspiration in time for your own crafty makes for Father's Day. If you did enjoy the video, please head over to YouTube and like the video, it really helps my channel. If you'd like to see more videos from me, including a Father's Day gift idea very soon, you can subscribe to my channel. You might also want to leave me a comment in the comments section on YouTube or on my blog; let me know what you'll be crafting for Father's Day!

Thanks for reading all the way to the end!

Until next time,
Amy x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rosy Congratulations for Color Throwdown 451 #CTD451

Ice Cream Happy Day Stamped Background Card with Artiste Watercolour Pens #CTD452

Ombre Embossed Watercoloured Card for #CTD455