Starry Steampunk Wooden Gift Box Video Tutorial

Hi there!

I'm back with a video tutorial decorating a wooden box in a steampunk style. I thought this was a great idea for a gift box, since it is reusable and becomes a part of the gift itself. In my case, it was more suited to a man than the pretty bows found in most luxury gift wrapping, and as a bonus, worked out much cheaper than a gift wrapping service! Why wouldn't you have fun decorating a wooden box, provide a great gift and prevent excess waste at the same time? Take a look at the video and then read on below.



If you liked the video, please don't forget to head over to YouTube and hit the like button and subscribe to my channel; your support is greatly appreciated. I really liked the way this box turned out, even with such an eclectic mix of inspiration!



--- Supplies Used ---
# Wooden box from The Works (only £1! I've linked to an alternative, since I can't find this one online; although I bought it in-store only yesterday)
# Gesso from The Works
# Wash brushes from The Works (I use the middle size as a gesso brush)
# Royal & Langnickel Acrylic Paint in Prussian Blue from The Works (check your local shop)
# Boldmere gold taklon brushes from The Works
# Royal & Langnickel gold taklon brushes
# Acrylic block
# Crawford & Black Gold metallic acrylic paint from The Works (check your local shop)
# Spray bottle for water (I recycled a lens cleaner bottle)
# Steampunk style cogs from Amazon
# Screwdriver
# Sanding block
# Hi-Tack Glue from The Works (I've linked to a different one, but should work the same)
# Heat tool (optional)
# Baby wipes (alcohol free)


To start off with, I removed the metal findings and sanded the box down. After this, I applied a coat of gesso and dried this off with a heat tool. I applied the Prussian Blue paint thickly with a flat gold taklon brush to the outside of the box; two coats to achieve an even and deeply coloured finish.


Using the gold acrylic paint, I painted the inside of the box, making sure to work into the uneven finish of natural wood. I then put some of the same paint on the acrylic block, sprayed with water, and splattered onto the outside of the box. I used baby wipes to correct mistakes, and tissues to blot out undesirable areas. At this stage, the box has a really decadent look and is reminiscent of lapis lazuli, or a starry night sky on the outside of a treasure box from ancient mythology.


I applied some cogs in a pleasing arrangement on the lid and front of the box, using the tacky glue. And that completed the box! Simple, relatively quick, very inexpensive and very sustainable. Plus a thoughtful gift, and a pleasant way to spend an hour or two!


I hope you were inspired by this video to try it out for yourself; not only is it a lovely gift, but also a great storage solutions for those little bits and bobs. Don't forget to head over to my channel on YouTube for more inspiration. I'll be back with two birthday cards later this week, so watch this space!

Thanks for reading all the way to the end!

Until next time,
Amy x


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rosy Congratulations for Color Throwdown 451 #CTD451

Ice Cream Happy Day Stamped Background Card with Artiste Watercolour Pens #CTD452

Ombre Embossed Watercoloured Card for #CTD455