Vintage World Map Wooden Box Video Tutorial

Hi there!

Apologies this is a little overdue, but here is a video of a box I decorated for my dad for Father's Day. I'll let you sit back and watch the video, then read on for more.



Father's day can be a difficult time for those who have lost loved ones. Wooden boxes like this are a nice way of keeping memories in a personal space. This box, I decorated for my dad to sit on his desk and hold various bits and bobs. I really loved the vintage style and clean look I ended up with, so left it quite simple and striking. I don't think it would look out of place on anybody's desk!



--- Supplies Used ---
# Wooden box from The Works
# Gesso from The Works
# 1" wash brush from The Works
# Heat gun from docrafts (here's a link from Amazon, but mine is the much older version)
# Sanding block from a hardware store
# Royal & Langnickel Crafter's Choice acrylic paint in Burnt Sienna (link from The Works)
# Royal & Langnickel gold taklon flat brush in 14 from a value pack
# Printed tissue paper from docrafts Papermania (can't find this online, but you could use some from Tim Holtz or any decoupage paper)
# Hunkydory For the love of... Masks in 'Enjoy the Journey'
# Matt decoupage glue from Trimcraft (Amazon link)
# Hard natural hair brush (from £1 shop)
# Cosmic Shimmer Texture Paste by Phill Martin in New Gold
# Palette knives (metal from The Works and plastic from Bo Bunny)
# Masking tape
# Pebeo gilding wax in Antique Gold (Amazon link)
# Screwdriver

It's important to first remove the metal findings if you want to keep a clean look to these. I kept these in a bowl to one side so the tiny screws wouldn't be lost! I apply a couple of coats of gesso, really working this into the wood.



After these coats have dried, I used a sanding block to remove the rough areas of wood. This does remove the residue from the gesso, but the base layers still have an effect as they have soaked into the wood and changed the colour of it as well as sealing these layers. Sanding helps make the box feel silky smooth and removes and imperfections in the box, too. After this, I applied two more coats of gesso before getting on to the decorating, and sanded lightly.



To decorate, I applied two layers of paint in Burnt Sienna. I only used one layer of paint on the inside of the box, and covered this with printed tissue paper. To do this, I tore sections of paper, adhered them to the box with matt decoupage glue and sealed it with another layer of the glue, which also acts as a varnish. Using a hard bristled brush really helps achieve a smooth finish with the papers.



I used the world map portion of the stencil and gold texture paste to put the world map on top in a dimensional and metallic finish. To finish off the box, I applied gilding wax to the inside edges and screwed it back together.



I really hope you liked this post; I was very pleased with the result, which has less detail than I would usually add to a wooden box. If you like the video, please head over to YouTube and hit the like button, it really helps me and is very much appreciated. You can also subscribe to my channel, and let me know in the comments if you'd like to see more wooden box videos in the future.

Thanks for reading all the way to the end!

Until next time,
Amy x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rosy Congratulations for Color Throwdown 451 #CTD451

Ice Cream Happy Day Stamped Background Card with Artiste Watercolour Pens #CTD452

Ombre Embossed Watercoloured Card for #CTD455